Monday, April 30, 2007

Doing It

Sorry, I couldn't wait for the lead blogger. With this semester coming to an end it is hard to believe how many books we have read. We started with familiar, simple readings we moved so quickly with our reading assignments the shift to more mature books didn't hit me until I read "Doing It", and "Deliver us from Evie". Both books are definitely for young adults. While I was reading "Doing It" I felt like I was a teenager again listening to my three older brothers talking about the very same thing that these teenagers talked about. I did not hear every detail (fortunately) but I began to understand why my brothers did not want me to go out with their friends. Because they all talked like Dino, Ben, Jonathan and doing it. This is why I really enjoyed this book I felt that it was true to nature and teenage boys. How ever I believe the girls that were portrayed were more on the line as a fantasy type girls. I can see why some critics would look negatively towards the writing of a school teacher having an affair with a student and definitely condoning and glorifying this kind of Activity. However I do believe this was written as a fantasy that many young students have about one of their teachers at one point. I believe young readers would see this as pure fantasy. "Deliver us From Evie", was on a much more sensitive serious topic, and is representative of the issues of today. I enjoyed all the readings with the exception of some of Zipes, but hey nobody likes a critic!

No comments: