Sunday, February 18, 2007

Alice in Wonderland (1st half)

okay, i don't really have much to say except that this is probably one of the weirdest books i have ever read. i've always that that "alice in wonderland" is something great like she's in some kind of perfect world with nothing strange happening, but i was wrong. i find that it's not just weird, but it is strange as well. the characters in the book are also strange. i understand that it is a fantasy novel, but the characters being used are not my kind of characters. even alice herself is strange especially how she doesn't remember anything. it seems as if she remembers the characters, but she just doesn't remember what is actaully going on in her own life. like i said earlier, i don't have much to say about this except that it is strange, and i'm hoping that i will enjoy reading it more towards the end and i'm not doubting that nothing strange is gonna happen.

4 comments:

ashley i said...

ok so Alice in Wonderland is a somwhat strange book , but i almost assumed it would be just from seeing the movie. it is never really a story that has made much sense to me so hopefully now it will! to me it is strange, but at the same time it kind of reminds me of the way a child would think ... one who would play in an imaginary world, and that seems to me (at least at this point) what Alice is doing. almost like she is just having fun imagining because her day was boring.

kae said...

"Alice in Wonderland" I am having a hard time warming to this book(especially after "Briar Rose") I have only seen the movie version of Alice in Wonderland and that what was strange. I find this to be difficult reading. Granted it is a fantasy and it does contain magic and a world never ventured in, but I cant imagine reading this book to a child. A child would inevitably have many questions and they would be difficult to answer, how does one explain what a "hooka" is (apparently there are hooka bars, and maybe they all have giant caterpillars)However i do believe that the characters and the environment are symbols or metaphors for Alice. There have been rumors that Lewis Carroll was using some hallucinatory type drug while writing this book(that would explain a lot)whether this is true or untrue I find it hard to be objective when reading this story. I don't quite remember the ending but I hope that I can give in to the fantasy.

jessicar2b said...

I have always enjoyed the tale of Alice in Wonderland. I first remember watching the Disney version, and instantly fell in love. When I got older I read the book by Carroll. This book is a trip in more ways than one. I think you have to look a the 'time' when it was written as well as the fact that Carroll was English. It isn't American fairy tales.

kae said...

Wizard of Oz
I first want to mention that I only saw the movie and I thought the book was written after the movie. I like the much gentler side of this fairy tale as Baum mentions in the introduction "It aspires to being a modernized fairy tale, in which the wonderment and joy are retained and the heart-ache and nightmares are left out". I have not finished the book, but so far this holds true. I like how Baum goes into detail about how the scarecrow doesn't have a brain, and the tin man doesn't have a heart and the lions lack of courage. Baum does a great job describing the colorful land which is quite the opposite of the gray farm in Kansas.this has all the ingredients of a good fairy tale for children. As I said before I haven't finished the book but I know the ending and Dorothy will return home much wiser.