Sunday, February 11, 2007

Yolen ch 11-16

So I want to start by saying that I love this book. The first day I sat down to read and was suppose to stop on chapter 10 I kept reading till ch 16. I like how Gemma's story of Sleeping Beauty is different from the original that I know. I think there is alot of symbolisim behind Gemma's story, some things that will be reviled later. Magda, the translator is a good guide and helps to evolve the story by giving her view point of living in Poland and living there after the war. I'm not sure that this is a "children's Book" but I like it. It is a book about how when she was a child listened to her Grandma tell her the same story and how it was a large part of her childhood. My question is what will change by her finding out who her Gemma really was?

3 comments:

kae said...

"Briar Rose"
This is a good book it is easy reading and was intriguing from the start. I like how Yolen weaves the past and the present. In the beginning I thought that this was a good book for young children, but now that I am much further in the reading it has taken on a much more mature plot. This book keeps my interest and Josef Potoki is really a person of interest.
When I was a child I liked to believe that the fairy tales were about true people and that their story had to be told as a fairy tale for fear that nobody would believe. This is why I love this book.

ashley i said...

when i first began this book i did not know what to expect. all i knew was that it had something to do with the fairy tale sleeping beauty. as i continued to read i found out that it had less to do with what i believeed to be sleeping beauty and more to do with history. it is an amazing book and very easy to read, it draws you in right from the start! in response to the lead blogger... i have not finished the book but i only have a little left, so i have not seen any change in the way becca looks at gemma yet but maybe i will when i finish it!

ncsaechao said...

when i first started reading Yolan's book, i was a little confused because i didn't really understand what and where it was leading towards, except that it had something to do with sleeping beauty and the prince and a castle. and i didn't know who Briar Rose was, but as i read further into the book, it started making more sense to me and i really enjoy reading it. like all the others said, once you started reading it's kinda hard to put it down because you want to know more about what is going to happen. i'm really looking forward to reading the rest of the book.