Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Wizard of Oz

Kae posted this in the comments part of the last blog entry, so I thought I'd repost it here so it'd be more visible ...


Wizard of Oz
I first want to mention that I only saw the movie and I thought the book was written after the movie. I like the much gentler side of this fairy tale as Baum mentions in the introduction "It aspires to being a modernized fairy tale, in which the wonderment and joy are retained and the heart-ache and nightmares are left out". I have not finished the book, but so far this holds true. I like how Baum goes into detail about how the scarecrow doesn't have a brain, and the tin man doesn't have a heart and the lions lack of courage. Baum does a great job describing the colorful land which is quite the opposite of the gray farm in Kansas.this has all the ingredients of a good fairy tale for children. As I said before I haven't finished the book but I know the ending and Dorothy will return home much wiser.
February 26, 2007 9:14 PM

2 comments:

ncsaechao said...

i don't remember how the movie went, but according to Baum, i am really enjoying the fairytale. i like how dorothy is such a friendly girl even though she's going out into the wilderness by herself, she's not afraid because she knows what she wants and she's going after it. and i think it's awesome how she meets the scarecrow who has no brain, the tin woodman who has no heart, and the lion who lacks courage. and because they all know what they want from the oz, they are all going on a journey together. i, myself haven't finished the book yet either, but i'm sure of it that they will all get what they want. the scarecrow will soon have a brain, the tin woodman will soon have a heart, and the lion will have courage and dorothy and toto will return home to kansas safely.

ashley i said...

so when i was growing up i must have watched this movie countless times, it was one of my favorites. so i will say that i was kind of nervous to begin reading the book, because i never have. and sometimes people have their own opinion about the book or movie being better. personally after finally having the opportunity to read the book i have found that i enjoy both. the book is different from the movie and i do like some parts of the book better, but they pretty much have the same story line, and even after knowing how it ends i have to say i was still somewhat in suspense. it was still fun to see if these characters eventually get what they want.